• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hops

Roosterbrews

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi guy's what is the advantage's / disadvantage's or difference between using Pellet or Cone, hops, I was going to order from a UK web site they offer pellet, cone or tea bag hops. I have only ever used vacuum packed leaf hops in the past. Never heard of tea bag hops I assume they come in a ready to use boil bag.
Also will using a muslin hop bag make any difference to the bittering / aroma I normally put them in loose but its a bit messy.   

Not familiar w/tea bag but it sounds like it's premeasured for a kit?  If you've been using cones successfully, I'd stick w/that (it's what I prefer).

Never heard of the tea bag hops but would be interested to know how they work out if you decide on them.

I've used pellets and whole leaf hops. My preference is the whole leaf because I seem to be able to strain the wort cleaner. That could just be my imagination but I am much happier with my brews now.

I've done the pellet and whole leaves and i prefer the pellets. I found the whole leaf plugged up my boil pot drain when transfering into my primary. Also, I find the pellets last longer if you need to store them for a while

Back