• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Why does OG not change?

K

kenb

I am just wondering why the OG estimate does not change based upon what temp i enter for mashing? Shouldn't there be quite a difference in OG mashing at 148 vs 159 for example?

Wrong question,  there is actually very little difference in OG,  on the other hand FG varies widely with mash temp, but there are a lot of other factors, mash thickness, fermentation temp, yeast used, aeration, quantity of yeast used, etc. and so on.

I alter my yeast attenuation (parameter in the yeast DB) to adjust for different attenuations I get from different mash profiles.  Actually I created a "duplicate" yeast entry which I modified the name with my mash temp and set the attenuation to what I see on my system for that yeast.  Does it always hit right on,  no,  due to the above reasons, but it does get me close.

I see between 5 and 10% attenuation shift for every 3F change in mash temp.  Use the 3F to get 5% change when you start trying this then adjust to be more accurate.

Fred

THanks for the info! I guess i am just wondering why beersmith does not take the temps into account as it does affect the gravity?

Hi,
  I'm looking into adding this to a future version to improve FG estimates.

Brad

Back