• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Quick request for some very specific tips... beers to taste

c_smith

Apprentice
Reaction score
Two quick questions, and a halfway lengthy explanation to follow, for those that have the patience to continue reading. I appreciate all responses.

(One) If you could recommend three commercially available craft beer ales and three commercially available craft beer (non-german) lagers to a group of people entirely new to homebrew and craft beers in general, which would you suggest? (that's one question)  Keep in mind, these people never drink anything but German industry Pilnsers and Bavarian Hefeweizen. 

(Two) In the case the the group was impressed by their first step into a new world of beer, could you recommend a good all grain homebrew ale recipe and a good all grain IPA recipe for that same group?  Don't forget, they have never had anything but pilsners and hefeweizen. The idea is that they were so impressed by their first taste of real beer, they would agree to spend a day brewing with me. 

Explanation: I am an American homebrewer living in Germany.  Long has my hobby been fairly lonesome, as Germany has amazingly good standards for its industry beers, and the general population has only heard rumors about new beer trends in the USA.  But as craft beer grows, and supermarkets here are cautiously starting to test brown ales, IPAs, sparkling ales...etc, a small group of friends and colleagues have agreed to join me for an informal beer tasting at my home.  Now, I don't want to blow their minds, so I thought limiting the number of new tastes would be a good idea.  I can cover Belgian styles and wheat beers.  But what would you recommend, for the cautious taster trying his first ale, IPA, or non-German lager?   

Some of the group has even asked to join me for a brew day... so without going crazy, what ale recipe or maybe even IPA recipe would you recommend we try together?  (I lack the equipment for lagers!).  I've been brewing for years, and have many experimental recipes... but the logic behind my request for YOUR ideas is simply.... what's a good, homemade recipe for someone tasting homebrew for the first time?  Remember, this person has been guzzling Becks and Jever since he was 16 (legal age here). 

Maybe I'm putting too much thought into this... but don't we all sort of take pride in Homebrew as a movement?

Thanks so much for your time and response. 

But what would you recommend, for the cautious taster trying his first ale, IPA, or non-German lager?

I dunno. Ale is a totally different animal, and sadly most people don't like it. Additionally, I have no idea of what is available to you. If you were in Maine I could recommend several local brews (Geary's, Stone Coast, Shipyard, Baxter, Gritty's, Sea Dog), but I have no idea if they are available in Colorado or South Carolina, let alone Germany.

I'm sure you can bet Bass, but that's a difficult one to reproduce in a home brewery. Sam Adam's makes some good beer, and I would like to think their products are available internationally. Without knowing what's available I can't really give you any suggestions other than to try some on your own, and then make your own determination as to what to share and attempt to reproduce.

Thanks for the response.  Yea, it's hit and miss as to what's available here.  I have a local importer who carries around 60 different American beers, but switches up his selection regularly. 

Maybe just your opinion of "what is important when trying a first ale" is a better way to go about it?  I mean, I'm guessing I shouldn't blow them away with a Strong Ale or nail them with a hop-bomb, right?  I was thinking of keeping it simple... but I'd like to impress! ;)

I know a lot of you having taken part in group tastings and thought maybe there are still some ideas out there.....

For a big malty flavor I would go with Lagunitas IPA.  For a bit coarser IPA, I would go with Stone IPA.  On the more homogenized side, maybe Sam Adams Rebel IPA. 

Personally, I would to a flight of 5 or 6 from malty to hoppy as hell.  Tastes are so individual.  I find folks always find something when they have a range to sample from.

I recommend a recipe that leans toward smooth bitterness and a floral and citrus flavor and aroma.  Our club recipe is very popular.  http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/15257/cascade-orange-pale-ale-10g

Ales:
Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter
Sprecher Pipers Scotch Ale
Sprecher Pub Brown

Can't think any non-German style lagers I would recommend

Thank you all very much for the input.  I'll check my importer to see if he can get those for me... I can't wait to try them myself!  :) 

I recommend a recipe that leans toward smooth bitterness and a floral and citrus flavor and aroma.  Our club recipe is very popular.  http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/15257/cascade-orange-pale-ale-10g

Why did you take down the recipe?

Since I live in the neighborhood I am somewhat partial to Sierra Nevada Brewery's (Chico, CA) selections.  If you can get them their Torpedo is an IPA that won't overpower you with hops.  Their Old Chico Wheat Ale is very good for a wheat ale.  I doubt that it is available in Germany but their Oatmeal Stout is just about the best I have ever tasted. 

Back