• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

why does my beer have this on top.....

hey there im new to this i just want to know why my beer has this on top/...

• email me at [email protected]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • idk whats on top of it is my beer still good?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mason5743

Apprentice
Reaction score

Idk wats on top of it? Is it ok? It's been in there for 4 weeks now I want to put it in the keg but I'm worry that it's messed up is there anything I can do to make it go down?

Ale yeast ferments at the top of the vessel.  This is what's called krausen, it's normal and will hang out until fermentation slows down at which point it will settle down.

I am skeptical this a legitimate post.

Is that a secondary or a primary? I would expect to see more on the bottom if it's primary. If it's the secondary, then it looks like you racked early.

Looks to me like you racked before the yeast was done. Now the yeast that's left in suspension is trying to do the work of all that yeast that was on the bottom and in the raft, and it's having a difficult time doing it.  Give it time and eventually it will finish the job, and you'll know because the bubbles on the top will subside. Next time wait until it is fairly clear before racking, or just don't rack at all. Many people here keg/bottle straight from the primary. It will be fine. It just needs some patience.

Back