• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Best temp to age beer after fermentation is complete

Slobrew

Master Brewer
Reaction score
If I follow the brew steps in BS it has me aging the beer for 30 days after bottling/kegging at the same temp it recommended for Primary and Secondary fermentation.

So if I follow that recommendation I would spent 10-14 days fermenting the beer then another 30 days aging the product at the same temp. This means I'm unable to make another beer until about 6 weeks after I start making the current brew. I live in Florida so the only way I'm going to get 67 degrees is leave it in the ferment fridge which will only hold one batch at a time.

Is there a problem with kegging the beer and putting it in the kezzer at about 2-3 C and just letting it age there? I can get 4 kegs in my Kezzer so I'd be able to make beer every 2 weeks instead of every 6.

Attachments

• DSCF2569.JPG
    DSCF2569.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 5
If you're aging (conditioning) kegged brew, the keezer is fine. 30 days at near ferm temps would be suggested for primed bottles (or a primed keg) to ensure the yeasties stay awake long enough to carbonate the brew. If you're force-carbing anyway, this is not an issue. Remembering, of course, that not all brew wants to sit that long before consumption - freshness and all that.

I live in Northern CA and our average Summer temps are in the upper 90s with the occasional 110 to 115.  I do not keg.  I do all of my bottle conditioning inside of my house which is kept at approximately 70 degrees.  Other than the occasional bottle exploding I have not had any problems.  Due to this, lagering is out of the question.  I am in the process of designing a walk-in cooler which will take over the conditioning duties. 

Drink your IPA's as soon as they are carbed.  I found that giving the stay time as bottled condition beers the IPA's lost so much of that hop aroma.  You can buy cages that you can suspend hops in the keg while drinking or use a randell to keep that fresh hop flavor

Back