• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing to summer session beers today!

Scott Ickes

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

The first is a hoppy, citrusy American Wheat beer.

The second one is a grapefruit Session IPA.

Just in time for summer!

The first one is a hoppy citrusy American Wheat beer. 

Attachments

• Citrusy American Wheat.bsmx
    21.8 KB · Views: 197
The second one is a grapefruit session IPA.  It has citrusy hops to compliment the grapefruit peel.

The forum is having trouble with my .bsmx files.  So, here is a pdf of the Session IPA.

Attachments

• Grapefruit Session IPA.pdf
    114.1 KB · Views: 214
Wheat Recipe: I would recommend either adding some rice hulls or bring the ratio of wheat malt to 2-row up to around the same amount of each.  You are going to have a hard time draining and sparging without some help opening up pathways for the water to drain. 

Grapefruit:  Looks fine.  Let us know how it turns out.

The sparge actually went quite well.  I expected it to be a little tough, but it wasn't.  I hit all my numbers on it too.  It's quite hoppy tasting.  I've never brewed a hoppy wheat before, so we'll see what it turns out like.

The grapefruit session IPA is in the boil right now.  I missed my numbers a little bit low on pre-boil gravity.  Just a little low on the gravity, but my pre-boil volume is a little high.  I'm going to boil a little more vigorously to boil off an extra half gallon, which should get my numbers pretty close on post boil.

Back