• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

advice on barly wine

Charlie Mops

Forum Moderator
Master Brewer
Reaction score
8 lbs light dry malt
3 lbs crystal malt
1 1/2 lbs munich malt
1 1/2 oz. chocolate malt
8 oz detrin powder
2 oz eroica
3 oz cascade
champagne yeast.

can anyone give me any advice on this recipie? i have never seen a beer call for wine yeast before.

Charlie,
I've used champagne yeast before, always in conjunction with an ale yeast though, not by itself.  This receipe probably has champagne yeast because it has a greater tolerance to alcohol and will attentuate further than an ale yeast.  Ale yeasts will go to about 15% alcohol before they stop.  The few times that I've used champagne yeast was to get my beer above 15%, adding the champagne yeast after the ale yeast has already started fermenting.  I would not use champagne yeast by itself because it does have flavor that is different than ale yeast.  I know that White Labs has a high-gravity liquid yeast, you might try that instead of the champagne yeast.
Good luck!
Les

I would drop this as a recipe because of the champagne yeast

What kind of a BarleyWine would you like to make? American?  the recipe you cite is an American BW (Cascade hops give it away) but with too few hops.

How big would you like it to be (abv)?

Are you all grain, partial mash or extract with grains for a brewing style?

Fred

i have finished this recipie and made it like it said. I got it from a book called brewing quality beers by Byron Burch. It turned out fantastic. Thanks for the advice guys. I have a stout on the go from the same book.

Back