• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Coopers Add On - IBU'S way off.

battz

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey Guy's
I've found a couple of threads here with regards to this problem. But no real answers.
I'm trying to make a partial mash using Coopers extract and trying to get the IBU'S right or even calculate them using the suggestions just doesn't work for me.
Is there an update I’m missing or something?

I'm getting 77.8 IBU's for tipping a can of extract in the fermenter.. 

The IBU level you have is for the entire 1.7kg can. BeerSmith needs the number converted to 1 lb of extract dissolved into 1 gallon, which will be a much lower number.

Can: 1.7kg = 3.75 lb

Simply divide the can total by its weight, and that's the number you put into the ingredient profile for BeerSmith.  In this case, you're at 90.6.

Thx brewfun. I have no doubt you are correct and I'm missing something completely obvious but I can't work out why it doesn't give me 0 IBU's. As you can see with my jpeg I've ticked after the boil.  I've changed the ingredient profile to 90.6 but still getting 20.7 IBU's.  If i use a different brand  ie. Briess it works fine.
Thx.

I believe Coopers uses isomerized extract for bittering their kits. That means that bittering is accumulated even if it's not boiled. Though, I recommend that you at least pasteurize the extract by heating it to 180F (83C) before adding it to the fermenter.

Briess malt extract cans are unhopped.

Thank you brewfun for your help...  Makes a bit more sence now.
Cheers

Back