• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mandarina Bavaria Pale Ale grain bill help.

GundyGang1

Apprentice
Reaction score
This is the grain bill for a pale ale I'm doing with magnum, el dorado, and mandarina bavaria hops...
5.5 gallon batch

Thoughts on the sweetness?

10.5 lbs. 2-Row
8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L
4 oz Caravienne Malt
4 oz. Cara-Pils/Dextrine
4 oz Honey Malt

OG: 1.056 41.5ibu

For my taste, it would be a little heavy on the crystal/caramel type malts.  Personally, I would replace the Crystal 30L with Munich malt.  This would help with a more complex malt flavors to back up the hops.

Oginme said:
For my taste, it would be a little heavy on the crystal/caramel type malts.  Personally, I would replace the Crystal 30L with Munich malt.  This would help with a more complex malt flavors to back up the hops.

Substitute straight up, or change the quantity? I would like it to be a little sweet, but I do think some malt complexity would help.

If it were me, I'd do a total swap.

Between the Caravienne and the Honey malt, you have about 4% crystal malts which should be enough to give an initial sweetness, plus the honey malt tends to linger in both sweetness and flavor on the tongue.

If you wanted a bit more sweetness, you could do a partial swap and add a couple more oz of either the caravienne or C-30.  It's the first time brewing this particular recipe, so go for what you think is what you want to taste and then you can readjust the next time you brew it (assuming of course that the rest of the recipe agrees with your tastes).  I've had a few original recipes that are spot on the first time, but most require a couple of small revisions before they fall into a zone where I want them to be.

Back