• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Inaccurate Recipe Translation using the app?

Rockhopper

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this brewing lark and thought I'd try out the beersmith iphone app for brewing software. For my first all grain brew I wanted to recreate a recipe that I'd done on the brewing course I'd been on that got me into homebrewing so I could be confident about following the instructions/how it should turn out before I could take the stabilisers off!

I knew what to do in terms of the recipe, but when I put the same ingredients into beersmith it gave me 47 minute mash time and 47 boil time whereas the recipe I followed was 60 & 90 minutes respectively.

If it helps, and apologies as the measurements will all be UK, I was trying to brew a 23L pale ale. I used 4kg of Maris Otter malt, 40g of Challenger bittering hops and 80g of Amarillo aroma hops (added at various points including some at flame out).

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong when inputting items but if so then I don't know what it is that I've done wrong? My worry is that when i come to designing my own recipes I don't want to be getting the mash/boiling times completely wrong.

If I'm making a stupid rookie mistake I'd be grateful if someone could point out where I'm going wrong. I followed my recipe and it's worked out fine.

Cheers!

Back