• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

OG much higher than est. OG

Philbrew

Apprentice
Reaction score
I brewed an American rye ale today.  Extract and partial mash (mini-mash).  BeerSmith est.OG was 1.044.  Measured OG was 1.061.  Waaaay above target.  I know that I followed the recipe exactly.  I measured OG with a calibrated hydrometer AND a calibrated digital refractometer (brix 14.9).

Mashed 1 lb. of rye malt and 1 lb. of cara-pils in a grain bag in a 1 gal. cooler with 2.5 qts. water.  Added 5 lbs. 5 oz. of american light LME and 4 oz. of light DME to the boil.  6.25 gal. in the fermenter.
I exported the recipe to the cloud, file name = 10.  Bye-Bye Miss American Rye

Am I doing something wrong in my recipe formulation?  Or is this a program problem?

HAHA.  Answered my own question.  And the answer is...none of the above.
Apparently there was some stratification going on.  I took the original SG sample from the very bottom of the fermenter.  This morning, with fermentation just starting, I opened the fermenter, stirred and took a sample from the middle.  Brix = 8.5 (1.034), much more like what I was expecting.  It's going to be a good refreshing summer beer.  Sorry for the head-scratcher.

Back