• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch log and equipment setup -newbie questions

PeterM

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi there

Great news - last weekend I brewed my very first all-grain brew using Beersmith. In fact the first batch of beer at all, so I had a lot of things on my mind and for a lot of reasons it will proably not come out as a reward winning brew ::) However the taste of my very own virgin-brew will be sweet :) Now reflecting over what happened during the busy brew day I have lots of questions regarding the software but for now you'll just get a single an very basic one :eek:

A beersmith recipe I would consider a "manufacturing specification" suitable for repetedly brewing the same beer following this file. However it apparently also contains fields to be filled in during the brewing process for at particular batch (like gravity reading etc). I seriously miss a "batch log" version of the recipe or I have missed how this can be achieved. What I'm talking about is a scenario where I have a recipe say "Ale no. 100". Every time I brew this recipe I would like to save a log of how things went - what amounts were actually weighed, what were my volume and gravity readings etc! Those input should not result in my original ricipe beeing changed (and the changes registrered in the recipe archive for that sake)
So is there an obvious way to accomplish this in Beersmith?

Thanks in advance
Cheers

BeerSmith has a 'brew log' function and folder.  I group my recipes into folders by type.  When I am ready to brew one, I highlight the recipe in the folder and click on 'Copy to Log' on the toolbar strip and a copy of the recipe will be placed in a folder labeled 'Brew Log'.  If this folder does not exist, it will be created the first time you use the function. 

From here, I can add notes and record brew day data. 

As an easy way to track my brews, I have all my dates set in my recipe folders to 1/1/2001.  When I copy a recipe to the 'Brew Log' folder, I change the date to the planned brew date.

This function allows you to have a 'master' file of your recipes and keep track of not only brew day data, but also tweaks and changes you make for that particular brew session.  The master file of the recipe is unaffected by changes you make in the 'Brew Log'

Back