• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

I messed up! Help!

GundyGang1

Apprentice
Reaction score
Ok, I made a honey wheat last night and my OG was off. Here's what I did wrong:

I forgot to add .5lbs of 10l, which I had to buy separate, so just forgot. Found that out and added .5lbs of dark brown sugar to the boil to make up for ABV lose.

OG came in around 1.03, when it should have been around 1.049.

Fermentation already started (pitched too much yeast too), so my question is should I throw in some more sugar to a secondary to pull up the gravity?

I use beersmith and my equipment profile was not accurate, adding to much water, so hopefully this won't happen again, but for now, suggestions? I'd leave it, but 1.03 seems too low....

I just brewed a wheat beer last month with a starting gravity of 1.038 (on purpose).  I wouldn't change anything and just let it go as it is.  It's the perfect time of the year for a low gravity (Low ABV) beer, since summer is just around the corner.  You'll be able to enjoy 3 or 4 of them without getting wasted.

Thanks for the reply, but I already added albs of DME. I steeped .5lbs of caramel 10l in .5 gallons, then boiled and added 2lbs of DME... Added that to fermenter and it went nuts, but it's quite down now. Took a reading and am at 1.008.

My new question is: How the heck to I calculate OG off of that???

SG was 1.03 in 5.5 gallons. I was aiming for 1.049, so I added above...

GundyGang1 said:
... Added that to fermenter and it went nuts, but it's quite down now. Took a reading and am at 1.008.
My new question is: How the heck to I calculate OG off of that???

You don't. You confirm complete fermentation, crash, package, carbonate, chill, pour, drink, burp, and go "ahhhh!" Lesson learned, beer enjoyed.

Back