• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Double Parti-Gyle batch not sure how to enter it

jomebrew

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I switches to 3G batches since I can ferment two at once in my mini fridge.  I started with an American Brown.  I started with approx 13lbs of grain and added 5g strike water. I got about 3G of wort.  I took the first runnings (17 BRIX . 1.071SG) boiled 60 minutes.  OG was 1.092 (hydrometer).  I diluted to about 3G with a new OG of 17 BRIX.  I probably should have diluted in the kettle but I don't have volume markings to I did it in the fermenter.

The second batch is an imperial milk stout. I added 1 LB flaked oats, 2.5lb 2 row, 5lb belgian pils, .5lb accidulated malt, .5lb chocolate malt, and .5 lb crystal 60 and a pound of lactose to the mash tun and added 5.5 gallons of strike water.  My plan was for a 20 minute mash then transfer to the second kettle.  I ended up mashing for a full 60 minutes again. 

The Stout preboil was 16 BRIX / 1.066.  The diluted OG was 1.071 just like the brown.  So, not a big imperial stout.

I am not sure how to enter the second batch.  I haven't figured out the dilution of the first either.

J

For the first batch use the dilution tool to figure out the water amount. Use the water amount as the top up in the equipment profile and plug in the actual efficiency.

For the second batch:
Take the nominal efficiency of your system's full sparge batch and subtract the actual efficiency of the first batch. Plug this result into the yield field for any pale malt. Rename that malt to "second gyle" in the recipe.

Now add the rest of the grains, using your normal brewhouse efficiency in the equipment profile. This should show the preboil gravity close to what you measured.

The reason for using your full batch brewhouse efficiency is that you've already subtracted the potential sugar from the partially spent grain and you're going to fully sparge the new grain. This avoids having to make make up an average of both, which would change with the volume yield or additional grain.

Great ideas.  Will play around with the brew logs and see what I can work out.

Back