• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sticking to using one measuring standard for all calculations

frecha

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I noticed that in some cases BS2 will use different measuring standards within the recipes created. For example, using pounds and ounces for grain bill calculations versus simply converting it all into pounds. Most of us use a scales that will default to pounds or ounces only and it would be nice to be able to have the ability to set the measurement type default to fit our needs. I also noticed that water will also be measured in quarts and gallons. Again this would make it easier if a user could change the default to have the system use on measuring type. In the water example most pots are marked in gallons and not quarts so it requires a brewer to calc the equivalent in gallons.

Have you tried Options > Units?

BeerSmith accommodates a huge array of units.

frecha said:
For example, using pounds and ounces for grain bill calculations versus simply converting it all into pounds.
Most of us use a scales that will default to pounds or ounces only

The first statement is addressed in Options > Units. 

I'm not entirely sure about the second statement. You may be in a cluster where the popular and available scale reads in tenths of pounds, but there are a lot of brewer scales that measure in pounds/ounces/tenths of ounces. 

and it would be nice to be able to have the ability to set the measurement type default to fit our needs.

Again, refer to the top of this reply. ...So, this brings up a point. BeerSmith isn't completely intuitive. There are a lot of available adjustments that take experience to understand and use. I understand your frustration not finding precisely what you like, right off the bat, but it's likely in there.

I think what the OP would like to see  is the same same I would.. and that is an across the board change to the units you  would like to see displayed.  Rather gallons, quarts , ounces or pounds. ( I understand there is a metric version as well so imperial vs Metric is a moot point sort of)
  For a example.
1) When looking at the brew day directions even though we tell brew smith our batch size in Gallons..ie.say 5.5 gal.  The brew directions tell you to mash in say 13.53 quarts .  I don't like to sit there and do the math.........lets see 13 divided by 4 equals 3  then carry the  1.53 \ umm let see  that's 3 gals and um..... let see where is the dang calculator?      When instead beer smith could just as easily tell me/us that we need 3. 38 gals  or even better  3 1/3 gal of infusion water which is close enough.

The same problem occurs in the actual mash profile window where infusion volumes are listed in quarts yet right below it the fly sparge volume is listed in Gallons.  :eek:

Back