• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Understanding OG calculation

ballkn

New Forum Member
Reaction score
All, Newb here. I apologize in advance for my ignorance. I am trying to understand why my back of the envelope calculations for OG do not equal what the software yields. Can someone help me understand how the software is calculating an OG of 1.060. I calculate ~ 1.080

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    722.1 KB · Views: 458
With extract recipes, BeerSmith assumes only 15% efficiency for steeped grain. If you know you get more than that, you can change the percentage in Options.

I thought this might be the case, but am still not quite calculating their predicted 1.060. I am multiplying the extract SG of 1.036 by the total amount of extract (9lbs). This value is then divided by my batch size of 5gallons. This yields ~65. I assume the calculator applies some efficiency to the extract as well... Maybe 85%?

No, extract is utilized at 100% because all of it dissolves into wort. That's what BeerSmith assumes. The ingredient profile should show 100% yield. If it doesn't, change it to see if that makes the difference.

Without seeing your water balance, it is hard to check the calculation.  It appears as though you are doing a partial boil and topping off into the fermentor.  BrewFun is correct that extract is calculated at 100% yield, but how much of that is lost in your trub loss?

Back