• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Who uses a pH meter instead of strips? Meter care tips?

dbevisjr

Apprentice
Reaction score
Not sure if this question should be here or in the all grain section. My questions are for those who use a meter instead of strips to test pH when required. What is required to care for your meter? How often, if ever, must you replace the electrodes? How do you store the meter between batches while not in use? Thank you.

I use a Milwaukee MW101, and I was sure to get a bottle of Storage Solution along with the usual buffer solutions. The pH probe came with a silicone-rubber end-cap that is used to protect the end of the probe when not in use. The end-cap is tight-fitting and is intended to hold a small amount of storage solution to keep the probe tip wet during storage - dry tip = unhappy tip.

Mine always sits in its original box when not in use. Before putting the meter away, I'll rinse the probe tip in distilled water, shake lightly, check to be sure the end-cap has enough storage solution in it, install the end-cap and put the meter away. Simple, really.

Replacing the probe will become necessary only when drift becomes no longer manageable. Many pH meters allow easy calibration using one or more buffer solutions - I don't always recalibrate, but I do always double-check by using one of my buffer solutions - if it is spot on, no calibration needed. If it is off, I'll do a two-point calibration.

When calibration is no longer possible - it just won't settle near where it's supposed to and wanders all over the place - it may be time to replace the probe. This assumes you've kept your buffers in good shape. I've had my meter for about a year and a half now, and the probe still holds true each time I use it.

Thank you philm63. That is exactly the info I was seeking. Just wanted to be sure I knew what I was getting into before buying one.

Use fresh buffers (they can absorb atmospheric CO2 over time & eventually "expire"). 
Use deionized or distilled water to rinse between buffers (to keep from contaminating one w/the other). 
Keep the bulb of the electrode clean & wet. 
After a time your performance will get noticeably slow, or it won't calibrate at all.  If there is too much protein clogging the ceramic bridge, you may be able to clear it w/bleach.  But most likely, it's time to replace the electrode.
Storing in bleach is a no-no.  Use storage solution or low pH buffer. 
Temperature can affect your readings so you want the wort to be near the temperature of the buffers (preferably near 25C or 77F).

What Brewark said, plus keep in a Ziplok bag to slow down evaporation of the storage solution.  It will get crusty after a while, but it does help keep the solution around longer.

Thanks MaltLicker. Appreciate the input. I think a pH meter and a refractometer are in my near future.

I use both strips and a meter to check ph. Meter seems more accurate than strips, but takes getting used too.  I keep mine in the low Ph solution bag, inside a pint glass, with another glass taped over the top to prevent evaporation. Even then the readings seemed slow, so I've taken to rinsing it off in some vinegar and it seems to clean the ick off the probe and it produces readings in line with the strips and more accurately as well.  I'm trusting the meter more, but there's a learning curve to it for sure.

The refractometer is a no brainer. JUST GET ONE !! You'll LOVE IT!  Mine only does brix, but it's okay because it makes me calculate in my head (brix x 4=gravity)  NOTE: It's only good for gravity before the fermentation.  After fermentation you need to use a hydrometer to really know what's going on.  Before I knew this I had a beer that seemed done, with no sweetness left to the taste, but the refractomer said the gravity was like 20. Figured it out pretty quick but had me puzzled for a day.

I replace electrode maybe once a year. Never let the electrode dry out. Use tap was to wash it when you are done. Some meters come with probe storage solution but plain tape water has always worked just fine for me.

I used to have the Milwaukee, but the extra money spent on a Extech PH110 is well worth it!  Calibration is dead easy and it's ATC is second to none.  It will tell you when the electrode needs replacing and it has an operating temperature much better suited for brewing.

It's decent equipment and well wort a consideration ;)

PublicEnemy said:
The refractometer is a no brainer. JUST GET ONE !! You'll LOVE IT!  Mine only does brix, but it's okay because it makes me calculate in my head (brix x 4=gravity)  NOTE: It's only good for gravity before the fermentation.  After fermentation you need to use a hydrometer to really know what's going on.  Before I knew this I had a beer that seemed done, with no sweetness left to the taste, but the refractomer said the gravity was like 20. Figured it out pretty quick but had me puzzled for a day.

BeerSmith includes a refractometer tool to correct the reading after fermentation starts. Just enter the original gravity, select "fermenting wort" and BeerSmith will display the corrected gravity.

Back