• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Safale 04 or 05

BigBry68

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I am brewing an American stout and was planning to use 04 but when I looked I actually had 05.  Not a huge deal to get an 04 tomorrow but was wondering what thoughts were if I used the 05?

Shooting for OG 1.068

Thanks in advance

A member of our club just brewed a session IPA.  He split the batch and fermented one with 04 and the other with 05.  It's not a stout, but the two beers were distinctly different.  The 05 had a harsher bitterness than the 04 and the 05 was also slightly maltier and not as dry as the 04.

We all preferred the 04 over the 05.  With a stout though, you might want the harsher bitterness, slightly maltier flavor and not as dry of a finish.

I've used 05 on two stouts and will use it for future stouts. I'm going to brew an APA this week with 05 so well se how that goes. I have not tried 04.

Back