• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Galaxy and Citra - to bitter or not to bitter?

jtoots

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
My recent batch almost went through the checkout line at the LHBS with Galaxy and Citra in the recipe as bittering hops.  The gentleman helping me caught it and shifted me over to Sorachi Ace because in his mind neither of the others are bittering hops and would give a soapy taste to the end product.  I'm seeing in BS that Citra is listed as "both" and Galaxy as "bittering"... what's everyone's thoughts on this?  How subjective is the "type" given to any particular hop?  Are these rules to live by or, similar to the beer styles, more of a guideline?

I have used galaxy as both a bittering hop and aroma hop  in a munich lager base beer. its the only hops I had at the time .
At 11% alpha (my package specific ) there is plenty of bitterness there. It is a dual purpose hop after all. The beer was awesome. Sometimes I could detect a slight  onion like flavour just for an instant, as the beer warmed in the glass. Having considered that, I will definately make this beer again with galaxy. It provides great bittering quality.  I will try other fruity type hops too, using the same base beer for comparison. This is home brewing, breaking the rules (experimenting)  is what makes it so much fun!

Thanks Tim,
I know many folks share your fondness of Galaxy, I have read quite a few positive reviews of SMaSH Marris Otter/Galaxy brews. 

Back