• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Whirlpool

Dan

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Value of and best method of whirlpooling for a basic 15 gal all grain system

"Value" depends on how much you really like beers with hops that fly in your face and yet have restrained bitterness. Just did my first one a couple of weeks ago, in fact, and I can say (and I've brewed a few IPA's) that I've not had a brew with so much in-your-face hoppiness and what seems like a pretty normal IPA bitterness - subjective; I know, but take a Stone IPA for example; that one has a little higher bite than my latest IPA, but mine has every bit, if not substantially more hop-in-your-face to it (granted, it's fresher, sure, but there it is).

"Best way" is going to be kind of subjective - it depends a lot on your access to or expertise in making modifications to your equipment, and willingness to modify said equipment to make a system that can bust out a truly good whirlpool. You can just tap a hole mid-way or 2/3 of the way up to allow the installation of a ball-valve, and on the inside you would have a tube extending in and down at an angle that would push the wort around in the kettle making the whirlpool. This is how I modified my 10G Boilermaker kettle and it works famously.

I'm sure others will chime in with alternate methods, there are many, and you are free to choose as you see fit - this is just what worked for me.

Back