• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Color calculation

badleroybrown

Apprentice
Reaction score
It seems to me that most of the color calculations are low.  I am not sure what is causing this.  A friend of mine and I put the same recipe in Beersmith and ProMash and came up with very different numbers for color.  Do the two use different calculation methods or is the color difference totally because of the lovibond ratings of the grains used by the two programs.  I did not check those values when we did that.  I have noticed a lot of my recipes show a color below the style values but I am sure the resulting brewed beer is totally within the style. 
I love using Beersmith and will continue using it.  I am just not sure what to do about this.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?  Have you corrected it?  If so, how?

Hi,
  There is an in-depth discussion of the method used in BeerSmith for color estimation here:
    http://www.beersmith.com/Help/colors_tech.htm

As far as I know the Morey method used in BeerSmith is the best known method for estimating SRM color.  However, its pretty easy to show that the SRM color is insufficient to accurately provide a complete color description for a beer since it is possible that two beers with the same SRM color may have vastly different shades (red, brown, blonde) that vary by the ingredients included.  However, at the moment its difficult to accurately estimate the subtle shadings that can occur in a generic way.

An additional complication is representing the color on the computer screen - as there are significant variances in hue, brightness, etc...  One would need a color chart to manually adjust the colors to get a completely accurate on-screen representation.

I have toyed with having a "gamma" setting or something similar to let people customize the colors they see onscreen to better match their actual color.  This would probably make a great addition to a future version of the program.

Cheers!
Brad Smith

Back