Author Topic: Foam in the Glass - What Gives?!  (Read 4299 times)

Offline philm63

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
Foam in the Glass - What Gives?!
« on: June 18, 2015, 06:51:32 AM »
Just tapped my latest IPA - nuttin' out of the ordinary except this one had a whirlpool hop stage prior to final chill. When I dispense a glass, it is all foam.

Here's what I know:

- This is my first brew since my wife discovered last year that we were going to be adding a little one to our cozy household - it's been almost a year.
- I had a keg of porter sitting in my kegerator for that entire year (oops).
- I'm using that same keg for this current IPA.
- I cleaned-rinsed-sanitized this keg as I normally would before racking - hot water and PBW - hot water rinse - warm Star-San solution.
- After PBW-ing the keg, I blew that water through my kegerator lines - as I normally do when switching kegs out.
- After the sanitizing rinse in the keg, I blew the Star-San solution through the kegerator lines, as I normally do when switching kegs out.
- I force-carbonate with 30 psi for 2 days (my normal protocol for ales) then drop it to 12 psi for serving - this has always worked well for me.

Here's what I see:

- Foam coming from the tap. A lot. Even after the tap has come to serving temp - all parts of the serving system are at the same temperature.

Here's what I did:

- Pulled the keg, pulled the OUT post and dip-tube, diassembled everything, re-cleaned-rinsed-sanitized (using a brush for the inside of the tube this time) and reassembled.
- Pulled the tap, disassembled, cleaned by hand with hot PBW, rinsed well, reassembled and reinstalled after the below:
- Ran a brush through the line at the top of the tower before reinstalling the tap.
- Removed and re-cleaned by hand the line fitting for the OUT post - the one on the end of the line, you know, the black one.
- Repressurized the keg at 12 psi and ran some product off into a flask to flush the lines - again, and then poured a pint. All foam!

AAAAAAAAAUGH!!!!

Suffice it to say; the entire system has been gone through - every piece by hand - and temps and pressures are as they've always been in the past with no issues, but this time; issues!

Help? Anyone?
On Tap: Oatmeal Stout, IPA
Fermenting: Air
On Deck: Kolsch

Offline jtoots

Re: Foam in the Glass - What Gives?!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 07:35:19 AM »
theory #1: you could have over-carbed it.  2-3 days at 25-30 psi is my method too, so i can identify with you in that it usually takes more like 3-4+ days to get it as bad as you've described, but could be it.

theory #2: your serving pressure is a bit high.  i definitely serve at 12ish psi regularly, but sometimes, especially if a beer is on the over-carbed side, 12 is too high.

suggestion #1:  shut off the gas to this keg and serve it via the pressure in the keg for a couple days until the carb level settles down to where you'd like it.

suggestion #2: reduce your serving pressure down to 4ish psi after that's done.

good luck dude!

oh, did you hit your FG?  any chance the yeast is still working?

Offline philm63

• Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 09:17:20 AM »
Thanks for the tips j -

Yeah, FG was confirmed - 1006 two days in a row - it was well past activity and was crashed for a few days at 32 F before going into a secondary for dry-hopping. Pretty sure there was no activity left to have.

This was a 3-gallon batch, too, my first (I used to do nuttin' but 5G) and all else being equal, I supposed that theory of over-carb is accurate considering I started with a smaller volume of beer, and piped in the same amount of CO2 as I would for a larger volume.

I also am already dropping the pressure in the keg - cut-off the gas yesterday and have been burping the keg form time to time to drop the pressure. I also tried yesterday dispensing at 3 to 4 psi - same thing; foam.

I normally dispense at 12 psi as this is what holds good carbonation in the keg, and I use 11 feet of line to properly balance the system so it dispenses perfectly. Well... it USED to, anyway...

Offline jtoots

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 09:31:49 AM »
cut-off the gas yesterday and have been burping the keg form time to time to drop the pressure.

fingers crossed that a couple days of this does the trick... i've heard that over-carbing (if that's our issue here) is a PITA to remedy, I haven't personally overshot by too far yet though.  stay in touch...

Offline philm63

• Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 12:33:52 PM »
I think you pretty much nailed it, j. I shake the keg lightly, burp, shake, burp, and when I shake, I hear a lot of foam in the keg. Prolly take a few days of gentle shaking/rocking and burping (the keg, not me...) (ok, me too!)

Time will tell...

KernelCrush

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 05:21:26 PM »
Had that happen to me too.  Not sure what your fill level is inside the keg, but I was told to pull out about 25% of the volume (mine was chock full) into a growler to allow some headspace for the co2 to dissipate into and keep burping. Did some swirling to speed it along.  Worked well

Offline philm63

• Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 08:27:14 PM »
It's coming around now - day two into burping the CO2 out periodically and I can actually get more beer than foam in my glass. Overcarbed my beer was, learned something new I did.

Offline Beer Lover

• Brew On
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 06:10:52 AM »
This is a great post.  Kegging for me is next and I picked up good tips.

Thanks to All!!
Brews on Deck; Brown Ale and Pliny the Elder
Fermenting; Blonde Ale, Cream Ale and Smithwick Irish Red
In Bottles; Gave up bottling. Too much work.
Kegged; Bourbon County and Bourbon County Vanilla Rye

modification