• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Profile Tool

C

centralpabrewer

I had my water tested by Ward labs and after receiving the report back, I created a water profile for my home water under the water profiling tool.  I then selected Burton on Trent as the target and modified the water salt additions, and saved this to my home water profile tool.  The additions I added were for 10 gallons of water.  According to the beersmith manual, if you add a water profile with additions to a recipe, it asked to add the additons to the recipe.  I tried this, and it does work, but how does it calculate the amount to add?  Is it based on the water profile, or the total amount of water needed to lautering and sparging?  I tried it on a couple of my recipes that have differing water amounts, and can't seem to find a pattern.  One recipe has almost ten gallons of water and another has 8.5 and the latter calls for more gypsum than the first.

Thanks
Centralpabrewer

Hi,
  When you set up the water profile (i.e. when editing a water profile) you can specify a batch size below the ingredient add ons.  For example if you put 5 gallons here it will use that to scale.

Next step - when you add the water to your recipe - you also specify how much water you want to add (i.e. you could add more than one).  If you add 5 gallons of your custom water profile (for instance) it will scale using the original size versus this new size - i.e. in this case 5gal/5 gal is 1.0 so it would just add the same amount of water additions you had in your original profile.  If you specify a bigger number in the amount of water to add it will scale up proportionally.

Thanks,
Brad

I think part of what I was doing was backwards.  By saving the additons to the target water, say Burton on Trent, I would then add that water profile to my recipe, not my local water ????

Second, I still don't see how it scales the additions.  Here is my example.
I modified Burton on Trent water using my local water as a base at 5.5 gallons.  My additions were as follows:  14gm gypsum, 0.5gm table salt, 9.0 gm epsom salt, 0.5gm Calcium Choride, 3gm baking soda, and 6gm chalk.  Those additons get my local water close to Burton on Trent.  So then I go into a recipe for an Imperial Stout.  I add 5.5 gallons of Burton on Trent water and it then adds the additions to my recipe in the above exact amounts. 
So far so good....But if I add say 6 gallons of Burton on Trent water to my recipe I get the following amounts.  12.83gm gypsum, 0.46gm salt, 8.25gm epsom salt, .46gm calcium chloride, 2.75gm baking soda, and 5.5gm chalk.  Shouldn't the additions be more since my water volume went up??

Also, when I preview my brewsheet, it shows only the additions for the water volume I added to my recipe and only for during the mash.  Wouldn't you want the additions to scale to what the total water volume for the whole batch would be (mash and sparge)?  For my imperial stout recipe, the brewsheets says to prepare 10.23 gallons of water, but then shows me my additions with a water volume of 5.5 gallons. 

Am I not looking at this correctly?  Would the better way to do this be to use Mash 5.2 to get my mash ph right and then add the additions only during the boil, or should the additions be added to the mash and sparge water?

Sorry for the long winded reply. 

Thanks,
  I just confirmed that indeed what you say is true - apparently there is a bug in the water addition scaling where it appears to do the inverse of what is desired.  Fortunately this is a very simple fix, so I will post it with the next patch shortly.

Thanks,
Brad

Back