Author Topic: Diammonium Phosphate Overdose???  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Luke7e

  • BeerSmith New Brewer
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Diammonium Phosphate Overdose???
« on: June 22, 2015, 12:08:59 PM »
My 1 lb bag from L.D. Carlson stated 1 tsp per I am reading that it is 1 tsp per 5 gallons???? Am I just going to have a hyper speed fermentation in my conical or do I need to be worried about poisoning my customers???? Is there a negative to what I did. I have 35 gallons in my conical right now and don't want to have to dump it if I don't have to...

Offline brewfun

  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • *****
  • Posts: 2305
  • Malt dust is just alcohol's glitter
Re: Diammonium Phosphate Overdose???
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 12:33:04 PM »
The dosage rates for DAP are for wine and cider making. Malt has a lot of nutrients in it, so you'd feed only to make the yeast healthier for repitching. Dosing at 1 tsp for 5 gallon is still a little high, but a good round number.

Ther isn't much flavor consequence from using too much. You might notice a little bit of twang from it.  Excess nutrient becomes food for contaminating organisms, so as long as you drink it quickly, you should be fine. However, residual DAP can have a laxative effect while it feeds your gut bacteria.
Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.