• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop Utilization in BS2

Ferraro41

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've read a bunch of the older posts dealing with getting the recipe numbers to come out reasonably close to the recipes in Jamil's "Brewing Classic Styles", but I think I have most of it figured out...with the exception of hop utilization.  For some reason, my IBU numbers in BS2 are coming out much lower than what Jamil suggests in his recipe.

For example, when entering grains/hops, etc for an American Stout, the estimated gravity comes out pretty close using my equipment profile.  However, he's shows a 70+ IBU using 1.4 ounces of 13%AA Horizon for 60 mins, and 1 oz of 10%AA Centennial for 5 mins.  My alphas for these hops are different, but for grins I used his alpha numbers in the book just to see how it would come out, and I'm only coming out with just under 55 IBU's.

Anyone have any ideas what I might be doing wrong to have such a wide discrepancy? 

First thought is to check your units both in your literature and in the software...  Rager or tinseth?

Brewing Classic Styles uses Rager as the bittering calculation model, so make sure you have that selected to make a comparison.

Also, you want to check your losses versus the losses from BCS.  I don't have the book in front of me right now, but I believe that Jamil makes 7.5 gal of wort, 6.5 gal post-boil and 5.5 into the fermentor.  You will need to confirm that in the process section of the book, just before the recipe pages.

That was it!  Thanks to both of you...made the change and boom...spot on.  :)

Cheers!

Ron

Back