• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Diammonium Phosphate Overdose???

Luke7e

New Forum Member
Reaction score
My 1 lb bag from L.D. Carlson stated 1 tsp per gallon....now I am reading that it is 1 tsp per 5 gallons???? Am I just going to have a hyper speed fermentation in my conical or do I need to be worried about poisoning my customers???? Is there a negative to what I did. I have 35 gallons in my conical right now and don't want to have to dump it if I don't have to...

The dosage rates for DAP are for wine and cider making. Malt has a lot of nutrients in it, so you'd feed only to make the yeast healthier for repitching. Dosing at 1 tsp for 5 gallon is still a little high, but a good round number.

Ther isn't much flavor consequence from using too much. You might notice a little bit of twang from it.  Excess nutrient becomes food for contaminating organisms, so as long as you drink it quickly, you should be fine. However, residual DAP can have a laxative effect while it feeds your gut bacteria.

Back