Author Topic: Pre Bottling Period  (Read 3111 times)

Offline Grazza

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Pre Bottling Period
« on: June 24, 2015, 02:40:49 AM »
Hi all. I'm a new brewer and I'm really impressed with the knowledge you all share on the forum. My first two Golden Lager brews have passed the mates' test and I really enjoy the beer making process. My third brew's primary fermentation is near completion. Could I please get some advice on 'maximum time period in my settling container prior to bottling'. It's all sealed in darkness at 18 - 20 degrees C. Is six weeks OK? Cheers Grazza   

Offline jtoots

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Pre Bottling Period
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 07:08:15 AM »
Either way I think you're fine, but are you planning on resting for 6 weeks in primary or secondary?

Offline Grazza

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 07:44:15 PM »
G'day jtoots. Thanks for your response. Once primary fermentation is complete I plan to transfer the brew to my 25 litre settling container for approximately 6 weeks storage. I'll then bottle the brew from my settling container. Its because I only have room to rotate sixty 750mm bottles. Grazza

Offline jtoots

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 09:50:33 AM »
sounds good.  what type of brew is it?

Offline Maine Homebrewer

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 03:33:48 PM »
Once you transfer it off the yeast cake into the secondary it should be fine for six weeks or six months. I wouldn't push it much more than that though.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline Grazza

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 06:02:42 PM »
Thanks for the support and advice.
My first three brews are an Australian mid strength larger. 1kg Malt extract and yeast with 0.5 kg of dextrose. I've got 750ml flip to bottles and use carbonation drops.     

modification