• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pre Bottling Period

Grazza

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm a new brewer and I'm really impressed with the knowledge you all share on the forum. My first two Golden Lager brews have passed the mates' test and I really enjoy the beer making process. My third brew's primary fermentation is near completion. Could I please get some advice on 'maximum time period in my settling container prior to bottling'. It's all sealed in darkness at 18 - 20 degrees C. Is six weeks OK? Cheers Grazza   

Either way I think you're fine, but are you planning on resting for 6 weeks in primary or secondary?

G'day jtoots. Thanks for your response. Once primary fermentation is complete I plan to transfer the brew to my 25 litre settling container for approximately 6 weeks storage. I'll then bottle the brew from my settling container. Its because I only have room to rotate sixty 750mm bottles. Grazza

Once you transfer it off the yeast cake into the secondary it should be fine for six weeks or six months. I wouldn't push it much more than that though.

Thanks for the support and advice.
My first three brews are an Australian mid strength larger. 1kg Malt extract and yeast with 0.5 kg of dextrose. I've got 750ml flip to bottles and use carbonation drops.   

Back