Author Topic: Vanilla Questions  (Read 2963 times)

Offline cbarnett

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Vanilla Questions
« on: June 25, 2015, 04:24:29 PM »
I have been thinking of using vanilla beans in a beer, but I am unsure just how much, or how to prep the beans. I was thinking of adding them to my Black IPA in the secondary, but without any experience with using them I did not want to try it. I have a great Pumpkin Porter recipe that I was thinking of using it for a Vanilla Porter later this year. Any ideas? :-\

Offline jtoots

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Vanilla Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 06:44:59 AM »
bumping this as i'm interested.  don't have any input now but will chime in once i get back to my books.

Offline twhitaker

• Beer, It's the best damn drink in the world! - Jack Nicholson
  • Canadian Amateur Brewers Assoc. member since 1987
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 01:27:22 PM »
I have read some treat them as wood chips
( when I added wood chips once) - soak them in bit of vodka then add the works to the secondary.
On tap: 1/2keg cream ale with corn grits
             1/4 keg-  Trappist Quad Ale w/ oak
Day 10 primary: West Coast I.P.A. with homegrown columbus hops 46 liters

Offline Oginme

• Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 06:42:12 AM »
The couple of times that I used vanilla beans, I cut them into approximately 2 inch sections and the halved the sections.  They were then soaked in just enough (the first time) vodka or (the second time) bourbon to cover the beans.  I allowed them to soak for 4 to 5 days before adding to my fermentor as it was nearing its final gravity.  I used 3 beans in a 10 litre batch with the bourbon for a porter and 2 beans in the vodka for a stout.

The initial vanilla flavor was pretty strong initially (2-3 weeks after bottling), but diminished fairly quickly.  It seemed to be at its prime between 5 to 9 weeks.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 06:43:58 AM by Oginme »
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

modification