• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Vanilla Questions

cbarnett

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking of using vanilla beans in a beer, but I am unsure just how much, or how to prep the beans. I was thinking of adding them to my Black IPA in the secondary, but without any experience with using them I did not want to try it. I have a great Pumpkin Porter recipe that I was thinking of using it for a Vanilla Porter later this year. Any ideas? :-\

bumping this as i'm interested.  don't have any input now but will chime in once i get back to my books.

I have read some treat them as wood chips
( when I added wood chips once) - soak them in bit of vodka then add the works to the secondary.

The couple of times that I used vanilla beans, I cut them into approximately 2 inch sections and the halved the sections.  They were then soaked in just enough (the first time) vodka or (the second time) bourbon to cover the beans.  I allowed them to soak for 4 to 5 days before adding to my fermentor as it was nearing its final gravity.  I used 3 beans in a 10 litre batch with the bourbon for a porter and 2 beans in the vodka for a stout.

The initial vanilla flavor was pretty strong initially (2-3 weeks after bottling), but diminished fairly quickly.  It seemed to be at its prime between 5 to 9 weeks.

Back