• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Carafoam Amount to use

arctic78

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I just wanted to know how much Carafoam to put into  my grain bill to help with head retention.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated . Not sure if it will give any flavours that are undesirable if to much is used.
I am brewing an IPA so would like to hear if people think it is needed or not

Thanks.

I’ve used Carapils (aka Carafoam or Dextrine) in several brews. One of those brews, a clone of Lagunitas IPA, called for 180g of Carapils (for a 5 gal brew). I had 90g on hand. It turned out fine.

Several other grains are going to help with head retention, and if you’re brewing an IPA, you might be using one or another. In particular, Caraamber and any of your Caramel/Crystal malts, regardless of color, are going to help.

The Lagunitas clone I brewed had 150g of Crystal 60 in it, which is the reason, I think, that it retained a head. In a later brew, a pale ale, I again used only 90g of Carapils, along with Caramunich II and Caramel Aromatic, neither of which to my knowledge help with head retention. The head on that brew fizzled rather quickly.

Anecdotal, but hope it helps.

Another one that is worth a very close look (and is probably my favourite) is Carahell. Assists a lot with head retention and is really unobtrusive. Alternatively, a smallish amount of wheat (dry or liquid) malt can also assist.

Thanks for your advise. much appreciated . I have also read since posting using high Alpha hops in the boil can also help
I will look at the carahell  I have never come across it.

Thanks.

I typically use about  5% carafoam in my lagers. I also use 5% vienna and 5% munich. I have very good head retention, in fact lacing is near perfect with a ring for each sip right to the bottom of the glass.

I have about 7% in my recipe so I might just leave it be then for now and see how it goes.
Not to far from what you said that you use in yours .
Thanks Twhitaker.

Ooops. I now realise I didn't even attempt to answer your original question which concerned the quantity to use. As a quick guide and a starting point for recipe calculations, I sometimes refer to this Weyermann PDF:
http://www.weyermannmalt.com/downloads/eng/Weyermann_Product_Information_GB_06_2015.pdf

antiphile said:
Another one that is worth a very close look (and is probably my favourite) is Carahell. Assists a lot with head retention and is really unobtrusive.

Cracked my first brew using Carahell (at 4%) earlier this evening. Excellent head retention. The only help it got in that regard was from Crystal malt (5%).

Back