• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Better Integration of Yeast Starters

pre1twa

New Forum Member
Reaction score
*Maybe I'm just not using the software properly*

What I would like to see is better integration of starters in to Beer Smith so I can define the fermentables I have added to the starter and include these in post boil alcohol calculations (volume already covered). Perhaps with the option to subtract fermentable sugars from the original recipe which will make up the starter e.g. if I have taken 300g of DME out of the recipe to create a starer what should my post boil gravity be? Yes, I realise I can just quickly remove the component from the recipe to get the value but it'd be nice to have the option of recording how I integrated my starter with my recipe for record keeping.

Hopefully I have explained this in a reasonable/clear manner... It's somewhat of a small point and I know the workaround is easy.

Thanks,
  I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that the starter OG is in the same range as the OG for the main wort.  I can see where a large variation would make a difference however.

Brad

Hi Brad, hi everybody!

I'm Italian, so sorry for bad English!  :)

I upped this post because I just started to use BeerSmith (It's amazing, I tried it for few days then today I purchased it!), and I had the same situation as pre1twa.

I want to brew 27 Liters of wort and I prepared a 3 Liter starter (as suggested with the starter calculator) with OG of 1.040.
In order to acheive the correct OG, I created my recipe taking into account to subtract the volume and the SG of the fermented starter from the total wort.

Let me explain:
I want to brew 27 liters of wort at 1.062 OG, so, taking into account the starter, i brewed 24 liters at 1.069 OG, then, adding the starter, i obtained the correct OG.

My question is the same of pre1twa, is there any way to add my starter to the ingredient list so that BrewSmith will take it into account regarding the total wort volume in order to have the correct recipe?

Hope you understand my question (again, sorry for bad English)  ;)

Happy brewing!

Back