• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Inventory Removal Amounts....

LeftTurnOnly

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi gang..... Is there a way to set the inventory removal amounts to be different than the actual amounts used in the recipe by chance?  For example, lets say i needed 14oz of a particular hop, and had a 1 pound bag.  Would there be a way to remove 1 pound (16oz) from actual inventory instead of just 14oz and then having to manually adjust things later?

I'm not sure i'm seeing it if there is.... Fingers crossed....

Thanks a bunch!
Kyle...

heh.... yes.... accuracy is what i'm after... though that's the thing.... it's no longer accurate since it removed 14oz from my inventory when in actuality, my inventory is now no longer correct since i removed a 1 pound bag from my inventory, so i should actually be down 16oz.  After 8 batches, I'll be a 1 pound bag shorter than my inventory says. Perhaps i didn't explain my initial example correctly.... sorry about that....

So when the recipe calls for 14 oz. you are adding a full pound?  Isn't the idea to have your recipe reflect what you add?  I am not sure what happens to the remaining 2 oz. in your question.

14oz would go in the beer but it's a 1 pound bag.... The 2 oz left over will usually be given away, go towards some experiment, or get tossed.... At the moment, i don't have a way of re-packing it in a way that i'm comfortable in re-using it much later, so the whole pound needs to come out of inventory.

LeftTurnOnly said:
14oz would go in the beer but it's a 1 pound bag.... The 2 oz left over will usually be given away, go towards some experiment, or get tossed.... At the moment, i don't have a way of re-packing it in a way that i'm comfortable in re-using it much later, so the whole pound needs to come out of inventory.

The accuracy level is up to you. You can change the recipe to a whole pound unit before deducting it from inventory, then change it back for record keeping. Pretty simple and quick.

OTOH, there is a rounding function in the shopping cart. It rounds up by a half "increment."

Thanks for the options there.....I was hoping to not have to edit the recipe each time for it (besides Alpha adjustments), but what you say makes sense...
I'll look into the rounding function some and see if that is more of what i'm after.

Thanks man....

If you will not be retaining any of the extra grains, then why don't you enter them into your inventory as the amount that you are going to use?

Perhaps i'm not following your question, but if i am, then the actual inventory wouldn't be accurate... Unless i'm missing something there.... which is quite possible....

If you buy a pound of grain for a recipe that uses only 14 oz, and you know that the last 2 oz will not be used but thrown out, then why not enter them into your inventory as 14 oz bought?

For economics, I would recommend getting zip lock bags and saving the remainder of the grain for future recipes, but the choice is yours.

For grain we do store unused grain, yea... it's the hops i'm mostly interested in working out a solution for.  Putting 14oz in inventory might get tricky as each beer is different and it wont reflect the actual inventory so i'm wondering if it might cause some troubles perhaps....

as for economics, for us, it's usually more cost effective to get a 1 pound bag of a hop and dump a couple rather than get 14 single ounce pouches.  We went that route for the economics of it, but it does make the inventory a little tricky... heh.... 

Thanks for the ideas..... We'll give them a shot....

Sorry, I missed the reference to hops.  The same thing applies though.  You enter the amount you use if you are going to throw the rest away.  If you want to store them, slip the rest into a ziplock bag and press the air out.  Stick them in your freezer for use in another recipe.

Back