• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Equipment Entry

prj28

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Today I did a Barley Wine and I used a Blichmann 15 gal for Mash and a Blichmann 10 gal for boil. Beersmith said I needed 7.7 gal pre boil volume for a post boil volume of 4.55 gal. When I was done I had about 6 gal post boil. I alway thought that the Equipment was for Mash so I took the Blichmann 15 gal from the drop down. I did some checking and I would have been correct if I used a 10 gal pot from the drop down. It showed a pre boil volume of 6 gal so my boil would have been perfect. So is "Equipment" for boil of mash?

prj28 said:
is "Equipment" for boil or mash?

Both. 

However, it also is for boil off, trub loss and timing.

The issue seems to be the boil off rate, not the kettle size because that's a huge discrepancy in volumes. I'm not sure why you didn't continue boiling until you reached your target volume and gravity? The kettle size just suggests that it can handle the hot volume and vigor of the boil.

The mash profile should have squared up your mash/lauter process with your intended targets in the equipment profile. The mash process is the place where the water volumes are calculated to match the kettle volumes.

We did boil it to volume but had already added hops in the 90 minute boil and it didn't taste right after 2 1/2 hours of boil. I made a new profile with the 15 gal information in the mash section and the 10 gal in the boil section. All the numbers appear correct. The biggest lesson I learned today was, NEVER BREW A BRITISH BEER ON THE 4TH OF JULY.

Back