• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hitting values

LesFCHB

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm new to BS2. I'm loading in a Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout recipe from BREW 250 Clone Recipes. The numbers don't hit what the recipe in the magazine says. Example: SRM should be 35 and BS2 says it will be 25. Will my beer be closer to the original by using the recipe without change or use BS2 to bring the numbers into line with what the mag. says?
Thanks

You have to have the reference point for the numbers to match what you're doing, to be correct. Whenever you add a recipe from a website, magazine or book, always make sure that the equipment profile matches what they are referencing.

It's also possible that they are using a different color of roast or black malt than you got in BeerSmith's database. Make sure the color numbers match there, too.

Once you have the recipe inputted with the correct profile and ingredients, you'll then use the Scale Recipe function to match it to your own equipment. This may change some ingredient amounts and ratios in a minor way, but it should end up making the correct color and flavor for the beer.

I should have added I am doing extract and the recipe is also for extract. They do say to boil in 5 qt. then rinse with water, then top up to 5 gal when the boil is finished. I do a full wort boil. So there are differences already. Unfortunately there are no color numbers associated with the grains. Thanks for the information. I'll try the Scale Recipe function. I'm thinking I should try to hit the recipe numbers to get as close as I can to the original.
Thanks again brewfun.

LesFCHB said:
I should have added I am doing extract and the recipe is also for extract.

Extracts are going to vary by manufacturer in both strength and color. BYO (the publisher of your book) has a reference for expected strength and color here:
https://byo.com/resources/grains

Based on that chart, I'm pretty sure that the extract potential strength in BeerSmith is lower than what BYO is expecting. You can adjust the ingredient in either the BeerSmith database, or in each individual recipe. I suggest doing it in the database. In either case, just double click on the ingredient and a window with the stats will open up for editing. After it's edited, you can just use the "Substitute" button in the recipe view to update it.

brewfun said:
LesFCHB said:
I should have added I am doing extract and the recipe is also for extract.

Extracts are going to vary by manufacturer in both strength and color. BYO (the publisher of your book) has a reference for expected strength and color here:
https://byo.com/resources/grains

Based on that chart, I'm pretty sure that the extract potential strength in BeerSmith is lower than what BYO is expecting. You can adjust the ingredient in either the BeerSmith database, or in each individual recipe. I suggest doing it in the database. In either case, just double click on the ingredient and a window with the stats will open up for editing. After it's edited, you can just use the "Substitute" button in the recipe view to update it.

Just to clarify what Brewfun is saying.  If you were to go to the grains tab and updated the extract in the ingredients, this doesn't change the extract in recipes that have already been created with the old profile.

This appears to have been an intentional design of BeerSmith.  If it changed the ingredient in all of your old recipes when you changed in the ingredient master file, it would cause changes to all of your recipes that had used that ingredient in the past.  For example, if you had used a particular brand of DME for years in you recipes, and the manufacturer had a change in color, you'd need to update the ingredient for all future recipes, but you wouldn't want it to change your old recipes from before the manufacturer made that color change.

So, if you have designed a recipe with a particulare DME already, but haven't brewed it yet, just changing the DME in the ingredients list, will not automatically change your recipe.  You can do one of two things to make that recipe accurate.
1.  You can open the recipe, then double click on that DME on the design page and change it to correct the color...or
2.  (if you'd already corrected the color on the master ingredient list), you can open your recipe to the design page and instead of double clicking on the DME to
      change it as above, you can just click 'substitute', which will bring up your "master ingredient list" and then select the DME there, where it has already been
      updated.

Back