• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

CLASSIC MEAD RECIPE NEEDED

BILLY BREW

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
My daughter is getting married and I want to ensure I have GRANDSONS ...This is going to be my little contribution to that effort.
Looking for a basic no frills recipe for a classic mead...
Any thoughts?

15 pounds of Orange Blossom honey per 5 gal batch
2 tsp DAP & 1 tsp Fermaid K
Yeast Strains:
Lallemand D-47 (Chardonnay) or
Lallemand 71B-1122 (Narbonne)

Oxygenate for four days
Avoid O2 like the plague after
day 1 add 15 pounds of Orange Blossom honey, 1 tsp Fermaid K, 1/2 tsp DAP, yeast, oxgenate
day 2,3,4 1/2 tsp DAP, oxgenate

This recipe is from THE source for all things mead, Ken Schramm

Fred

I made a very simple 1 gallon batch using 4 lbs of orange blossom honey, 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient, and a pack of dry champagne yeast. finished at about 16% ABV and slightly sweet, very drinkable. I primed half the bottles(beer bottles) with 3/4 tsp of dextrose(corn sugar) for sparkling mead, and left the other half still. fermentation took 3 weeks and 3 days, then bottle conditioned for 1 month. This recipie can be made bigger or smaller by multiplying the amount of honey by the amount of gallons you want.

I might be a little late for this one but here is probably the best mead I have ever made.

2 quarts water
2.5 lbs honey
1/2 cup lemon peels
1 tablespoon strong tea
1/4 teaspoon grape tannin
1 teaspoon yeast energizer
1 packet mead yeast (champaign yeast will do)

Stir the honey and the water together, heating slowly. Stir in the lemon peels and tea. When it gets hot stir in the grape tannin and the yeast energizer. Alot of brewers will bring it to a full boil to ensure the honey is sanitized but I don't I find it has a better flavor if you don't and I have never had a bad batch yet.
after it cools continue on like you are making wine. Remember to let it ferment in a dark place this is very important for the taste and colour of the mead. I usually put a big black garbage bag over my carboy.

Back