• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

ProMash Recipes

Cisco

Brewer
Reaction score
I've been using ProMash forever and I am now migrating to BeerSmith because there is no support for ProMash. I have two questions.
1. Is there a way to import my ProMash recipes?
2. Is there a function in BeerSmith that can record the actual brewing session and the resulting data just like ProMash used to do. If not how do you handle it?

• I can't answer question #1, but I can tell you how I handle your second question.

I created a folder in my brew log titled "Brewed Beers".  I also have folders in their titled, "Favorite Recipes", "Rotation Recipes", "Ales", "Lagers", "Specialty Recipes", etc.

The only recipes that I put actual brew day notes and measurements in is the "Brewed Beers" recipes.  Below is how I start my brew day on my laptop.
    • Once I've decided what recipe I'm going to make, (for example, my tootsie roll stout), I open the folder that contains the baseline recipe.
    • Since tootsie roll stout is in my Specialty Recipe folder, that is the file that I open up.
    • With the file open, I right click once on the tootsie roll stout recipe.
    • This brings up a drop down box and I then click on copy.
    • Now that I've done that, I move to my "Brewed Beers" folder.
    • I make sure that none of the recipes in my "Brewed Beers" folder are open or highlighted.
    • I then right click away from all of the recipes, bringing up my drop down box again and I click on paste.
    • This creates a version of my tootsie roll stout recipe in my "Brewed Beers" folder that is identical to the one in my "Specialty Beers" folder.
    • I can now move on with my brew day, and put in notes, measurements, etc.  These notes and measurements will only be in the "Brewed Beers" version of the tootsie roll stout and will not be in my clean version of the recipe in my "Specialty Beers" folder.
    • I have the date correct in the "Brewed Beers" folder for the day that I actually brewed it, so that they are listed chronologically.

I hope this helps.

BeerSmith has a button on the toolbar titled 'copy to brew log'.  Selecting a recipe and clicking this button puts a copy of the selected recipe into a folder titled 'Brew Log'.  You can then use this copy of the recipe to brew and record brew data without affecting your original recipe.

I then create sub folders in brew log for each year and put completed recipes into those folders according to the year they were brewed.  It cuts down on having a long list of brewed recipes in the Brew Log folder itself which you would then need to wade through.

If you use the embedded calendar function, you can open up 'options' and under the 'Calendar' tab select to have the calendar only show those recipes in the brew log folder (including sub folders).

Oginme said:
BeerSmith has a button on the toolbar titled 'copy to brew log'.  Selecting a recipe and clicking this button puts a copy of the selected recipe into a folder titled 'Brew Log'.  You can then use this copy of the recipe to brew and record brew data without affecting your original recipe.

I then create sub folders in brew log for each year and put completed recipes into those folders according to the year they were brewed.  It cuts down on having a long list of brewed recipes in the Brew Log folder itself which you would then need to wade through.

If you use the embedded calendar function, you can open up 'options' and under the 'Calendar' tab select to have the calendar only show those recipes in the brew log folder (including sub folders).

I just learned something.  I was doing it the hard way.  I'm not sure I'll change the way I do it, but I will definitely evaluate it and see if it's for me.

Thanks Oginme!

Glad to help.  There are a bunch of little things like this that make Beer Smith really versatile.

Thanks everyone for answering my second question about creating brew day logs!!! Well it looks like I will have to hand enter all my ProMash recipes - big bummer.

Just noticed, so sorry about the bad link Cisco. 
Should have paid more attention to the date of the post (2004)..
Little too hasty trying to help.

Cisco said:
Thanks everyone for answering my second question about creating brew day logs!!! Well it looks like I will have to hand enter all my ProMash recipes - big bummer.

Unfortunately, Promash has never made their recipe format public, so there isn't any direct utility.

It seems the thing to do is export your recipes as text files with all of the option boxes checked (Print as text file). Then use a Text to BeerXML converter on each file to get it ready for BeerSmith.

The last step is to import each recipe into BeerSmith and copy/paste it to your Recipe directory. Apparently, the conversion is pretty good, but not always perfect. The key seems to be making sure all of the text file options are checked in Promash.

Once you have the recipes in BeerSmith, you can update them with the ingredients database by selecting the ingredient, clicking the Substitute button and quickly looking up the ingredient from the list.

The up side is that you only have to do this process once. It'll take a while, but you'll have a more updated database of ingredients and more process options.

Back