• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Carboy self distruct

Slobrew

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I've made two batches with my new 6.5 gal glass carboy. While cleaning the carboy after the second batch the brush went through the glass just below the tapered top area of the carboy. I just stared at it for about a minute. What a waste of money, I never expected a cleaning brush to break the glass. Oh well, can't fix it so it is back to plastic for me.

Anybody have any good for bad experience/comments for the Speidel fermenters?

Attachments

• carboy.jpg
    carboy.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 17
Carboys are strange beasts. I've had them survive three-foot drops and I've had them break when I was cleaning them with a brush - very much like what you experienced. I now use buckets with a spigot at the bottom. The spigot lets me take gravity samples without opening the lid and makes it easy to run the beer into a keg (or bottling bucket). I understand buckets are oxygen-permeable, but I'm willing to take the risk for the three weeks my beer is in them. I've never noticed any degradation in quality; it may help that my palate is not very discriminating.

Better Bottles are supposedly less oxygen-permeable than other plastic and they are available with spigots.

Unfortunately, accidents like that are due to micro cracks that form over time. The usual cause for these is extreme temperature swings, like using hot water to clean, then cold water to sanitize. Also, lifting them by just the neck while full (carboy handle) is another cause because of the stresses on the neck.

I also use buckets with spigots for the reasons you stated. I just thought it was cool to watch it go once the yeast kicks in. Going back to plastic. I do have a  better bottles carboy, but don't use it much anymore. I bought the glass carboy because it was easier to clean and clearer to see through. I'm over that now.

The only time I've ever lost a carboy was when I unthinkingly stored it on a table, and when the table got bumped it fell off. Since then I store them on the ground when not in use. 

As for comments on the spiedel, check the posts under reviews. I did one there for the spiedel 60 liter fermentor. Love it. I still have glass carboys for secondary , dry hopping, wine etc. The 60 liter works perfectly for double 6 gallon batches (46 liters), with adequate headspace for foam so no blowoffs required. I only make 46 liter batches now that I have this.
Just don't scrub the food grade plastic with a scrubbie or anything that scratches, use only a soft sponge to clean. The spigot works perfect for transferring  bottling or kegging  if you fit a 1/2" clear hose over it. I have done complete fermentations in it for 3 weeks and have done secondary fermentations in carboys after 4 days with good results both ways.

I have never had a glass carboy break during the cleaning process.  I really prefer glass to plastic.  I am not a fan of plastic at all because of all the contaminates that come with plastic and plastic degrades over time.  Just my preference.

Back