• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hops and boil Time / steep Time

skymeissner

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

creating a recipe I can tell Beersmith the boil time for added hops. I can also specify the time for steeping. Great. But when I want to add hops late in boiling, says 10 minutes before boil end, steep time is not taken into account.

Example:
Add same amount of hops with boil time 5 minutes and for steep. Result is that the hops for steeping has a larger impact on IBU than the hops added in boil, which doesn't make sense since all hops will be present at steep time.

Is there any way I could handle this, making rational assumptions?

Thanks,
Jakob

I have not seen in any literature I have read so far that anyone has modeled this yet.  So it is hard for anyone to produce an algorithm to calculate any results.

Also, from testing clone brews versus commercial products, I know that my hop utilization is a bit stronger than whoever developed the clone brew recipe encountered.  (Either that or they purposely under hopped the clone brew, but I doubt that).

Realize that the calculation of IBU using one of the current models (Tinseth, Garenz, or Rager) is only accurate on the process and techniques that were used to develop the models.  Your mileage may vary in comparison to these models, but generally they should be close.

Personally, I use my taste buds to determine how I need to adjust IBU on a given recipe.  I generally know the taste and sensory impact that I am shooting for and adjust my target IBU (as calculated) to match what I feel the result will be.  Since I do not currently measure the IBU content versus calculated values, it is the next best thing in my mind.

Back