Author Topic: Dry hopping  (Read 4068 times)

Offline arctic78

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • patience is worth learning in brewing
Dry hopping
« on: July 18, 2015, 06:48:51 PM »
 I was after some advise on dry hopping. I have just brewed an IPA it has been in the primary for 4 days now and as of last night the fermentation has slowed down very quick compared to how vigorous it had been in the morning and the fist couple of days.
I was thinking of leaving it  3-4 more days then transferring to the second fermenter  and dry hopping for 3-4 days with 2.5 ounces of hop pellets. I was just wanting to know what temperature to dry hop at. I have read 12-14 degrees C ( 53-57 F ) but was looking for some advise on what others do. 
The Brew is an extract and was my first full boil and I found I had an issue with being able to keep a good boil going due to the amount ( 23 litres )and what my stove could heat. I have just invested in a burner today that will boil this amount and much more so my next brew should go smother. I am slowly working my way up to partial then all grain as I get the equipment together and more experience
But I guess a few hiccups along the way are all part of the learning process.
Any advise is much appreciated.

Offline Scott Ickes

• Brewing creatively and sharing the results!
Re: Dry hopping
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 11:31:45 PM »
I would raise the fermenting temperature to about 68-70 immediately to get a diacytel rest.  Then I would let the temperature drop into the low 60's F and dry hop it.

I wouldn't let it go down to the 50's until you've had a diacytel rest.

The diacytel rest will let the yeast clean up after themselves and give a cleaner flavor profile.
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
 Dubel (Aged in Malbec Wine Barrel
Aging:
 80 Shilling (In bourbon barrel)
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes
https://creativebrewing.wordpress.com

Offline arctic78

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 03:29:32 AM »
 I still have it at around 68-70 at the moment  which is the temp. I have fermented at give or take a degree .
So if I leave it until tomorrow to dry hop and then drop the temp.  down to around 62 and dry hop how long should I wait until dropping it again down to the low 50's???

Thanks for your advise .

Offline cowboygun

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • Placer Ultimate Brewing Society member
    • Placer Ultimate Brewing Society member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 02:32:39 PM »
After dry hop addition i would pull out of secondary 3-5 days after hop pellet introduction. If the the hops remain in the beer for an extended period of may cause a vegital flavor, e.g. grassy or like veggies.
simple cider in secondary

Offline arctic78

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 04:38:15 PM »
 I had read to only dry hop for 3-4 days  but I do like to hear what others on here do with their beers and what they have experienced.
All the help and advise I have received from people on here has been great and very much appreciated.

So as of today my beer has been in the primary for five days so I will transfer to the second fermenter today and dry hop and see how things go  :-\  Fingers crossed. I have to say though it dose have a very good smell so far  and seems quite clear  :)

thanks for the help.

Offline nivrac

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 11:01:34 PM »
I usually dry hop at 7 and 14 days.  I don't use a secondary and do all additions in my conical.  I usually ferment at 65F but that depends on the strain of yeast I'm using but most of the time it's WLP051 for my IPA's.

modification