• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

yeast 1056

smit221

Apprentice
Reaction score
wyeast 1056 comes in a liquid for 5 gallons. It smells perfect for a light golden ale. But I made only a gallon and threw the rest away. Expensive. Is there a dry yeast that has that exact flavor profile???

btw I pitched 1/3 of the liquid packet for 1 gallon,by weight it was about 8 grams...  I didnt manage to get that nutrient packet crushed so it did nothing. The full weight inside the package was 27g. so about a third.
that means without the nutrients so it means more yeast got in overall.
That is enough yes????

Much of the viability of the liquid yeast depends upon the date of packaging and storage conditions before use.  Most likely, you are perfectly fine in your pitching rate.

BTW, the nutrient package in the Wyeast yeast smack packs is there to 'proof' the yeast and does not contribute much to the viability or yeast count in the pack.  If it does not break, it is really not a bit deal.

One of the ways I use the liquid yeasts in my 10 liter batches is to make a yeast starter, oversized to the amount that I need to pitch.  I then split the starter for my batch and store the rest in my beer fridge for the next batch.  It works well if you are doing several batches in a row which you are calling for the same strain of yeast.  The typical starter will last 3 to 4 weeks in the fridge without issue.

Back