• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Starter Viability is not calculating

dolsjr

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I clicked on the Starter button to determine if I needed to do a starter for a high gravity beer.  I noticed that all my yeast was at 96%, slow I selected them individually, clicked edit and changed the package date.  The date changed, however, the viability did not and it is making the calculations very high for the yeast that I have.  I tried deleted the ingredients in design and adding them back with the correct package dates from the start.  The calculations gave the correct viability, but the viability under the Starter button is still at 96%.

Attachments

• Starter Screen.jpg
    Starter Screen.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 281
What is the brew date on your recipe set to?  BeerSmith uses the date in the recipe (on the design page) to determine the viability of the yeast.  If that date is prior to the dates entered for the yeast packs, it will default to a 96% viability.

That was it!  The recipe date was earlier than the package dates.  Thanks for the help!

Back