• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

The ability to add custom fields

drb1215

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi - It would be nice to be able to add custom fields in order to record data that is not part of the standard set.  For example, there are fields for recording the OG and FG, but there is not a way to record readings between the two.

Often I take gravity readings once fermentation slows down, at the 1 week mark, at 1 1/2 weeks, and so on.  I know that I can use the notes field and jot down something like "G - 4day = 1.0xx".  However, if I want to extract that info into a custom report, or possibly graph it to see yeast performance, it becomes a bit of a pain to parse the text field to separate out the name/value pairs.  A field, however, is already broken out as a name/value pair so parsing the info becomes trivial.

Not sure anyone else would find this useful, but it would be pretty cool to have an "Add Custom Field" button.

Thanks,
Dan

You have that capability already.  On the fermentation tab, you have fields for "gravity after primary" and "gravity after secondary".  I use them all the time.

Scott's correct, of course. But, I agree with the need for being able to add fields. I take readings for Gravity & pH during sparge plus at intervals during fermentation. I'd like to record other readings, too. At this point, it happens on a custom brew report.

Thanks Scott. I'm aware of the fields you are talking about, and do use them all the time.  However, there are readings that I would like to record during fermentation.

- Dan

New to the forum and this app, but I would enjoy having the ability to add my own custom fields as well - text, numerical, etc.  In particular I'd like to give my batches/brews a unique ID (yes I'm one of those analytical types).  Right now I'm using the "Assistant Brewer" field as a substitute.

Back