• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Creating Equipment Profile - Newby Question

Jiffster

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I'm brand spanking new to brewing and BeerSmith. I just started using the software today and ran into my first snag right away. I am preparing to brew my first (yep, I said first) batch of brew and I'm using a recipe given to me by someone using BeerSmith. I just purchased my first brewing kit and I want to set up my equipment list in BeerSmith and enter this recipe as a starting point to help me begin using the program.

In creating my equipment profile using the wizard, it's asking me for questions that I don't have the answers for yet.

How should I get started with this part of the set-up?

FYI: I'm using a Brewer's Best Kit that has a 5 gal brew pot, 6.5 gal Primary fermenter, 5 gal secondary fermenter (PET carboy). My first recipy is using extract and a partial boil (2.3 gal) and some grains.

I hope I've given the right info.

Appreciate any help you can offer.

BeerSmith relies on you having some measurements figured out for your system. However, since you're just starting out and using extract, a lot of the fine tuning available in BeerSmith won't really apply just yet.

For your equipment profile, just use the 5 gallon brewpot that's available from the list.
Set the batch volume as 5 gallons.
Set the top up water as 2.7 gallons
Set the Loss to Trub as zero.
Set the boiloff rate to 1 gallon per hour and boil time to 60 minutes. This is just a starting point that you'll modify after the brew day to match your actual results.

Set the recipe to "extract" (top center drop down menu in the recipe view).
Enter the ingredients.

The main thing is that your first couple of batches are really about the brewing process, not the accuracy of the recipe. You need a baseline of what's "normal" for your equipment and process and that comes from some experience.

It really isn't all that hard, but the explanation can seem very complicated. Basically, it's like trying to talk someone through all the little steps and possibilities involved in making a right turn. It's a lot easier done than said.

brewfun said:
BeerSmith relies on you having some measurements figured out for your system. However, since you're just starting out and using extract, a lot of the fine tuning available in BeerSmith won't really apply just yet.

Makes sense to me.

brewfun said:
For your equipment profile, just use the 5 gallon brewpot that's available from the list.
Set the batch volume as 5 gallons.

The one I see is "Pot (5 Gal/19L0 - Mini-BIAB".  I assume this is the one you are referring too, followed by modifying the pre-entered info with what you have below, correct?

Also, once completed do I change the name and save it?

Set the top up water as 2.7 gallons
Set the Loss to Trub as zero.
Set the boiloff rate to 1 gallon per hour and boil time to 60 minutes. This is just a starting point that you'll modify after the brew day to match your actual results.

Set the recipe to "extract" (top center drop down menu in the recipe view).

brewfun said:
Enter the ingredients.

I am attempting to add 2.4 oz of Aromatic Malt but it is only set to pounds. Do I need to manually calculate ounces or is there a way to change the properties to ounces for that field?

brewfun said:
The main thing is that your first couple of batches are really about the brewing process, not the accuracy of the recipe. You need a baseline of what's "normal" for your equipment and process and that comes from some experience.

It really isn't all that hard, but the explanation can seem very complicated. Basically, it's like trying to talk someone through all the little steps and possibilities involved in making a right turn. It's a lot easier done than said.

Understood. I appreciate the help!

Jiffster said:
I am attempting to add 2.4 oz of Aromatic Malt but it is only set to pounds. Do I need to manually calculate ounces or is there a way to change the properties to ounces for that field?

You can either just enter it as "2.4 oz" and BeerSmith will accept it, or you can change the units to ounces in Options > Units. Options is where you can customize BeerSmith to your preferences.

Back