• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Priming bottles with sugar

HarleyBrauMeister

Apprentice
Reaction score
ok, so I have a batch of Dry Stout (Beer Smith: http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/844649/beersmiths-dry-irish-stout) and I'm ready to bottle. Unfortunetly I just cehcked and I don't have enough corn sugar to do the job. I recently purchased little packets of sugar from a German brewing site (http://amihopfen.com/non-RHG-Ingredients/50-Sugar-Sticks-White::1339.html) that are 4g (0.14oz) each and the website claims that they're perfectly portioned to prime a bottle. So, my questions are:

1. For that style beer is the portions enough or too much? I'm not sure how to calculate per bottle requirements.
2. Is there any sanitation issue just ripping open the packet and dumping it in and then just filling the bottle?

Am I just overthinking this? Should I just do it? :)  This is only my second batch, on my last batch I used corn sugar, boiled it in water and used the primed bucket method...this isn't possible this time. I'd just go buy corn sugar tomorrow...but for some strange reason they don't sell it here in Germany! I can only find Cane sugar....go figure. I will be ordering about 10lb from the States this evening...but it won't be here in time to bottle this (I need to get the fermentor and my fridge freed up for my next batch too!!!!)

Thanks for your insight!
Randy

Why don't you just open the packets and weigh them out until you have the correct amount to boil in water and prime the entire batch?  There's no reason that you should have to put a packet per bottle, when you can just open the amount of packets you need and boil them all together, so that you get more even distribution of the sugars, by stirring the boiled sugar water into the entire batch.

Was able to find a buddy that had some corn sugar...so problem solved. Will address these sugar packets later....

Back