• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Grain Temperature (pre mash)

evilgiraffe

Brewer
Reaction score
Ok, maybe a stupid question here. But is the grain temp just the ambient temp of where it's being stored? My apartment is around 80 and the grains are sitting in the bags they came in in a closet. So I assume that since they've been sitting there a few days, they are also around 80. I ask because strike water temps are to be adjusted based on grain temp.

I take multiple readings of my grain temperatures right before mash in, to get an exact temperature.  I take a reading, then stir the grain up by hand and take another.  Then I do it again and again.  I've found that the inside grains can be cooler on a hot day than the grains on the outside.

I use ambient temp as my grain temp. My grains are stored inside, downstairs and are not subject to widely swinging temp variations so it works well enough.

metron-brewer said:
I use ambient temp as my grain temp. My grains are stored inside, downstairs and are not subject to widely swinging temp variations so it works well enough.

My entire brewery is in the garage, and although it's insulated and sound proofed, I still get wild swings in temperature out there.  If my grains were stored in a place that was like yours, I'd probably go with ambient also.

Back