• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recoverying from hard disk failuer

glastctbrewer

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

I had a hard drive failure and was able to have the user/documents/beersmith2 directory recovered.  I did the typical copy the old directory into the location of the new directory but my recipes aren't loading.  I tried to load them by opening recipes5.bsmx but I get an "error opening file message".  I can open all the other bsmx files without an issue.  I went to the archives next and I can open some of the archive files, but not for any of the recipes I created.  Any thoughts on this?  Do I have to make sure the application has all the various profile and ingredient mods I made over the years in place to open the files?

Thanks.

All of your recipes are self contained with the profiles you used to create them. So, opening the RecipesX.bsmx files aren't dependent on any other .bsmx files. Did you try any of the other Recipe files from the recovered files without transferring them? If you double click it and Windows knows to open .bsmx files with BeerSmith, then that might solve the problem.

Directly opening the recipe file or archive file giving me the import error starts Beersmith2 and then gives me the same Error Importing File message.

Unfortunately, no.  I can read the archive files in note pad.  I guess I'll have to learn a bit about xml so I can extract the batches and manually re-enter them.  Needless to say, I now have a crashplan subscription in place...

Back