• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith 2 crashing when loading beerXML file with German characters on LINUX

EJM3

New Forum Member
Reaction score
OK, I've just had a few weeks from H*LL because of Macro Squish-WindBlows (MS-Windows to others) 8.1 going South on me, so while trying to recover as much data as possible from the blasted nightmare of an OS I lost most of my recipes, all of my equipment & other profiles to BeerSmith 2.2. So I just installed LINUX on my laptop & installed the BeerSmith 2 Debian package.  All of it installed just fine, I started to customize & things worked great, then I tried to open one of my recipes that uses some German characters and the program crashed, hard.  So much so that it lost the activation codes & I had to re-do that part FOUR TIMES before I came here to look for answers.  Guess that I am about the only American using Germanic characters in my recipes so there is nothing there, especially since I'm on LINUX Netrunner 16 Ozymandias now.  But on the off chance that someone knows what's going on here...

Hi,
  Are you opening the BSMX file or a BeerXML file?  The BSMX file should open just fine, but BeerXML does not have great support for non-US characters.

Brad

Back