• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Efficiency Per Recipe

jim_rain

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to change the mash efficiency on a per recipe basis? If not can this be a feature request? My use case is this: my brewhouse usually gets a mash efficiency of about 89%. However, when I brew really high gravity beers (e.g. Russian Imperial Stout - OG=1.113) my efficiency goes down to about 80%. I know I can go in and change my brewhouse efficiency but that changes it for everything and it's a pain.

In the mobile version, if I change the efficiency of the equipment set up *once it is in the recipe*, it only changes that recipe's data, not the "master" equipment setup.  Same thing with ingredients.  If I change the %AA of a given hop in a recipe, it just changes there... not everywhere. 

I've been using mobile much more than desktop lately, but hopefully it's the same story?

Yes, it is the same for the desktop version.  Your profile selected when adding a recipe will stay static until you change the profile within the recipe.  I also have different mash efficiency for the high gravity recipes vs standard.  Since I know approximately where the break point is I adjust the brewhouse efficiency for that recipe when setting it up. 

If you later go back and change your profile, it will not have any affect on each of the recipes that use the previous version of the profile.

I make the same adjustment for recipes with high hop loads during the boil, since I add my hops directly to the wort.  I end up with a greater amount of trub, so I adjust that figure within the recipe and adjust the brewhouse efficiency to get the mash efficiency back to where it will be when I brew.

have you gents found your efficiency to go up for low gravity beers?  i recently did an english mild that is now a not-so-mild because i overshot my OG.  thinking about a "low gravity" profile with higher efficiency.

I track all my brews for the critical process parameters: water absorption, gravities, volumes, boil off, efficiencies, etc, so that I can see if I've changed something.  I group the recipes by gravity and it is pretty consistent from 1.040 to 1.060 (mash efficiency around 86%) it then drops off slowly to around 1.080 where it is around 82% mash efficiency.  It seems to flatten out after that, but it is also at this point that I change from full volume BIAB to BIAB with a batch sparge, which accounts for maintaining the mash efficiency.

I've only brewed a handful of recipes below 1.040 and they seem to be pretty close to the 86% number. I also have added an extra bit of water just before starting to boil to get the pre-boil gravity to where it should be.

jtoots said:
have you gents found your efficiency to go up for low gravity beers?

Yes. And it depends on mash geometry. The deeper the grainbed, the lower I've seen my efficiency go.

I have multiple equipment profiles to cover gravity and high hopping rates. This gets me into the right range.

Back