• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing With Coffee

I just bottled my "Espresso Stout" and I find the amount of coffee flavour is perfect.
I finely ground 30g of espresso roast beans and made 2 double shots of espresso with a hand pull espresso press. I added the espresso directly to the primary just before pitching the yeast. The head retention may have been affected. I may try adding the espresso to the secondary next time as the vigor of the primary fermentation may have stripped some of the coffee flavour.

Maybeebrewer2 said:
I just bottled my "Espresso Stout" and I find the amount of coffee flavour is perfect.

How did this turn out when it was fully conditioned?

i brewed a blonde yesterday and i wish i could get the coffee aroma on it. i've been reading up on the techniques for about 2 months or so and i'm still in doubt. anyone ever tried adding coffee to a light colored beer?

kevin_br said:
i brewed a blonde yesterday and i wish i could get the coffee aroma on it. i've been reading up on the techniques for about 2 months or so and i'm still in doubt. anyone ever tried adding coffee to a light colored beer?

I have not but I imagine you wouldn't want to add brewed coffee to it because it would affect the color. Whole bean in secondary is probably the approach but with limited exposure.

Earlier in the post, I mentioned that I tested beans with water since a brewer recommended placing them in secondary for a week at 50 degrees. My water turned black. Perhaps you would put your beans in secondary a day before bottling/kegging or a few days before. I imagine this limited exposure would preserve your color while taking on some coffee attributes.

I've never tried this with a blonde so I'm not certain. Obviously with a stout or porter, you're not worried about the color as much.

Back